Introduction and Week One Blog

Who Am I? 

My name is Merrie Palmer, and I’m currently the Fine Arts Director for a rural school district in southern Oklahoma. I teach musical theatre, competitive drama, speech and debate, and stagecraft, and I’ve had the privilege of doing this work for the past ten years. Before transitioning into secondary fine arts, I spent ten years in elementary education.
Right now, I’m completing my final course for my M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction in Theatre Pedagogy. This program has allowed me to blend my love of the arts with a deeper understanding of how to support student learning and curriculum development across content areas. My professional goals include continuing to advocate for robust fine arts programming and expanding student access to meaningful arts integrated experiences across all subject areas.  
ISTE Standard and Learning Activity – Theatre Focus
One ISTE Standard that really speaks to my work in theatre is Creative Communicator, specifically indicator 6a, which asks students to: “Choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication.”
In my high school musical theatre class, I design a unit where students develop original 10-minute musical scenes that incorporate dialogue, choreography, and appropriate staging. This incorporates Oklahoma Theatre Standard CR: Creating – TH.3.CP.02, which emphasizes creating and refining artistic work. In this unit, students use a multitude of platforms and digital tools to complete the task such as: Collaborative Google Docs to share and write scripts, FlipGrid or YouTube for the recording of choreography and final videos, as well as GarageBand for sound mixing and editing.  Each video is then uploaded using a link in a collaborative Google Sheet, where students have the capability to watch other videos as well, all on their Google Classroom shell.  This activity not only hits key content standards in theatre but also challenges students to consider how technology can support storytelling, design, collaboration, and artistic intent.
Using Kolb’s Triple E Framework, I feel this lesson hits all three E’s in a meaningful way. It keeps students engaged because they’re creating something personal and original, not just completing an assignment. The tech tools enhance their learning by giving them ways to edit, revise, and bring their creative visions to life. Most importantly, it extends learning beyond the classroom. When students share their performances online or with community partners, they gain real-world experience and a sense of purpose, which makes their work feel more authentic and relevant.

Comments

  1. Hi Merrie!

    First, what a well designed page! I think it looks great! I teach high school choir & co-teach musical theater! I love the 10-minute musical lesson and agree that it meaningfully achieves the three E’s.

    Sometimes the fine arts need a lot of adjustment to check the boxes of particular standards & criteria, but I find that the extra work is always rewarding. I think your lesson perfectly depicts this. You’ve shared a fun and effective lesson that I’m sure bring you joy each year. I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Merrie,

    It’s so great to “meet” another theatre educator who’s passionate about integrating technology in meaningful ways! Your musical theatre unit sounds like an incredible opportunity for students to explore the full creative process. I'm also a theatre teacher, but in Missouri.

    I also chose the Creative Communicator 6a standard for my lesson idea, and reading about how your students use tools like GarageBand, Flipgrid, and Google Docs to develop original musical scenes really brought that standard to life. It’s such a great example of how technology can be used creatively and purposefully, not just for convenience.

    I appreciated how clearly you connected your activity to Kolb’s Triple E Framework, especially your point about extending learning. Giving students the chance to share their work beyond the classroom, and even with community partners, helps them see their artistry as part of a larger conversation. That kind of authenticity is so powerful, especially in theatre education.

    Thanks for sharing your ideas! Best of luck with your final course (you’re so close!), and thank you for your continued advocacy for the arts in education!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts